Deep Meaning Often Lies In Childish Plays


I've been trying to break out of my usual make-up routine; investing in brightly colored eyeliners and shadows to get out of my typical winged look. I'll never really get tired of black eyeliner curving up at the edges like all of my favorite 60s stars, but it's also nice to experiment. A lot of girls did their makeup experiments in middle school or high school, trying out glitter lotions and lipsticks borrowed from their mothers. When I was little my mother would help my sister and I out with makeup for dance rehearsals, but recreative makeup for daily wear wasn't really allowed until I was a senior in high school. I was lucky to have fairly blemish free skin all through high school so my mother never thought I needed to wear makeup. To be honest, I mostly didn't care. But it did mean when I started wearing makeup I felt like everyone else had it "figured out." Girls weren't really having fun with their makeup choices anymore, they were expertly enhancing their cheekbones, highlighting their eyes, and plumping their lips. So, I felt blue eye shadow would look clownish in comparison and kept my face rather subdued, finding a personal style indulgence in winged eyeliner that works for an everyday look without being "too much," effectively skipping the period of glitter, weird colors, and general juvenile exuberance. Yet, sometimes it's still fun to be "too much" or even "childish" in comparison to your peers. To have teal hair and smear some vivid hue on your eyelid with your fingertip since you're not entirely certain how to use those fancy little brushes. Because in the end of the day, I might still be figuring out how to apply eyeshadow, but I know how to balance my checkbook and pay my taxes. So, lately I'm experimenting with the whole makeup thing about ten years behind schedule...

No comments:

Post a Comment